COABE 2011: Call for Proposals & Award NominationsPosted on 10/21/2010
The Commission on Adult Basic Education (COABE) will hold its annual conference jointly with the California Council of Adult Education (CCAE). The conference will be held in San Franscisco, CA April 17-21, 2011. COABE has announced open nominations for the 2011 Awards and a Call For Proposals for the 2011 COABE CCAE National Conference.
Call for Proposals:
You are invited to submit a proposal for the 2011 COABE CCAE National Conference, to be held in San Francisco, California on April 17-21, 2011. Proposals are due November 15, 2010.
The conference committee would like potential presenters to consider the following four inquiry areas when developing proposals:
- What is the role of the workforce education system in a global economy and what role should adult basic education play in that system?
- What are the hidden costs and repercussions for our society as adult education moves to a stronger emphasis on workforce skills training?
- What should the 21st century adult basic education classroom look like and why?
- What does and adult education system built for student learning look like?
Proposals may be for Panel Discussions, Interactive Learning Sessions, Lecture Presentations and/or Poster Sessions. For more information, go to Proposals. You may also submit a proposal for the Pre-Conference, which be held Sunday, April 17, 2011.
The COABE Awards program, which also provides incentive grants and scholarships, recognizes outstanding individuals and programs on a national level in the following categories:
- Administrator of the Year
- ABE/GED Student of the Year
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year
- Outstanding Workplace Literacy Program
- Partner in Adult Learning Service Program
- Promoting Literacy at the National and International Level
Award winners receive a $1,000 stipend, complimentary conference registration, and a travel stipend to attend the conference in San Francisco, CA, where they will be honored at a special awards ceremony at the 2011 COABE CCAE National Conference. Nomination Forms are available at Awards. To learn more about previous Award winners, see the Award Gallery.
Incentive grants and scholarships provide financial support for small projects or advanced study in adult education. Winners receive stipends and national recognition at the annual conference. More information can be found at Awards. Awards, incentive grants, and scholarships are funded by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
If you participated in the award, incentive grant, or scholarship process last year,
you can reactivate your nomination or application for inclusion in this year's process. Contact email@example.com for more details.
COABE is organized to advance national and international adult education and literacy opportunities for all persons.